We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content


Alton Community Centre has the following licences:

Premises Licence (East Hampshire District Council)

Ref Type Hours of license


Performance of Plays

12noon - 11pm


*Showing of Films

12noon - 11pm


Indoor Sporting Events

12noon - 11pm


Boxing & Wrestling Events

12noon - 11pm


Performance of Live Music

12noon - 11pm


**Playing of Recorded Music

12noon - 11pm


Performance of Dance

12noon - 11pm


Events similar to Live Music, Recorded Music or Dance

12noon - 11pm


Provision of Facilities for Making Music

12noon - 11pm


Provision of Facilities for Dancing

12noon - 11pm


Provision of facilities similar to Live Music, Recorded Music or Dance

12noon - 11pm


***Sale of Alcohol on the Premises

11am - 11pm

Music & Film Licences

Licencee Type Details

Motion Picture Licencing Company (MPLC)

MPLC Umbrella Licence ®

Year-round Film Content Licence for all free film showings at Alton Community Centre relating to films that MPLC distribute and licence. It does not cover film showings where there is a ticket or entrance fee*. Their Movie Licence Producer List is: Buena Vista Pictures, Dimension Films, Fox - Walden, Fox 2000 Films, Fox Searchlight Pictures, Hollywood Pictures, Miramax Films, Touchstone Pictures, Twentieth Century Fox Film Corp, Walt Disney Pictures, Metro Goldwyn Mayer, METRODOME Distribution Limited and Pixar Animation Studios, plus a further 63 independent producers.

Performing Rights Society (PRS)

Music for Businesses Licence

Year-round licence that allows the centre staff and room hirers the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.  This also covers the soundtrack of films.

*Showing of films requires a Content License from the film distributor, even if you are not charging people to watch the film. Alton Community Centre holds a 'MPLC Umbrella Licence ®' (see above), but it does not apply to films that MPLC do not distribute or where a ticket or entrance fee is made.

Both MPLC and Filmbank offer the facility to license a single film title, intended for film clubs and other one-off showings. They cover most films, but not all. The British Film Institute also licence films.  Licences for BBC films and programmes remain a mystery!  For more details, see:

Motion Picture Licencing Company (MPLC)
British Film Institute (BFI)

Both Filmbank and MPLC allow you to use your own DVD for film showings providing that it is covered by a licence.  There is also a lot of useful information on the 'Independent Cinema Office' website: and you can also search for details of films on the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) website:

**Alton Community Centre has a licence from the Performing Rights Society (PRS) for playing recorded music.

***Alton Community Association confers the right to sell alcohol to our bar and cafe. This means that all alcohol consumed at the centre must be bought from these outlets.

Whilst we have licences for events and facilities that make noise, we have the separate responsibility to keep noise levels within a reasonable level. Unlike licences, noise pollution is a subjective issue that means that the council's Environmental Protection team can be called upon at any time to deal with a noise nuisance. At present we limit noisy live music events to the Garden Room. We do use the Main Hall for playing recorded music and for the performance of live music that is less noisy. We work closely with Amery Hill Residents' Association to talk about and agree terms for events at the centre, so if you want to hold an event that might concern our neighbours, we ask that you refer the matter to us.